Sunday, July 12, 2009

Plague 3.35

I didnt get as much as I wanted to do done today, due to unforseen events. That said, I:
  • Added end of level stats showing your cumulative kill count etc (I'll put in discrete kill count as well next time)
  • refactored: simobject rmeoval to remove a bug
  • refactored the cellular simulations for heat and shockwaves to take time as an input variable, and made them update at varibles rates (trading accuracy for greater speed)
  • increased sim sight radii - need to see further for explosions - Plague is probably too easy right now, dont worry, I've got something planned that you'll either love or hate :)
  • improved smoke art - it was uuuugly.
  • turned off pre-processing of line of sight by default (turn on in options if you want)
Stuff I didnt get done that I'll try for next weekend:
  • Flamethrower (now I've sped up the fire)
  • cave system type level generation
  • city type level generation
  • random level type
  • level generation paramerisations randomly picked to increase level unpredictability
  • add more survivors, less weapons and make them start at random locations

2 comments:

Brian Jeffears said...

Keep at it! If the next version hits your general targets(mainly the randomization bits to keep things mixed up and lively) then I'll spring this on a pal of mine that was just handwringing the other day that "Gah, where are the games like ___(this)?!"

Also, thought about rigging up a trailer on youtube or some such at some point? Seems like this kinda game would express well in motion.

Benedict Carter said...

Almost done on the level generation upgrade.

I should put something up on youtube, but I have no idea how. I'd be very happy for someone else to do that though... :)

Where are the games like this? I dont know, which is why I'm making Plague. That said, Alien Shooter 2 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/33120/) is VERY good. XCOM is also available on Steam. Syndicate isn't, but it should readily found, and Freesynd might be worth a look (http://sourceforge.net/projects/freesynd/files/)